Monday, March 5, 2012

My crazy nose problems

If you have been graced by my presence in the past two or three years, you will probably remember me having a cold/sinus infection/runny nose/etc... And if you met me within the past few years, its probably the only way you can remember me. Haha. I like to joke about it because really is completely ridiculous. My first pregnancy symptom is congestion and it never really went away completely after Tate, but I thought it was either allergies or whatever.

Well, a couple weeks ago, I got another cold and had what felt like the mother of all sinus... issues. It traveled into my left ear and I had a constant, loud ringing in my ear, followed by sporadic echos. I made calls to get into an ENT and scheduled an appointment for 10 days later. The ringing lasted a week before it switched to the other ear. Seriously! Jared was going to have to check me in to a psychiatric ward soon because the noises in my head were driving me crazy! I would just beg the kids to play quietly. Luckily, it improved and I went into the ENT so they could see what was going on.

The verdict? Nasal Polyps. The doctor's exact words were, "Well, no wonder you are having problems, you have huge nasal polyps". They are pretty much growths in your sinus cavities, just taking up room and making breathing difficult. I am on a steroid to see if they will make a difference. My doctor thinks it is unlikely the steroids will fix them. I will get a CT scan in a couple weeks to see how things are going on inside my head. (Well, at least with my sinuses, Jared would argue that there are whole lot of issues going on in my head. haha) I will most likely have to have an outpatient surgery to remove the polyps. I am just so glad there will be a fix!

So, next time you see me, it could be a whole new me. One without a congested nose! And a lady who is spending less on Kleenex tissues.

*just to give Jared his due as a doctor, he did give me the diagnosis of polyps before the appt.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I agree- at least there's a fix! What a relief it'll be to have it over with. You poor thing.

I remember when I got diagnosed with appendicitis. I laughed. No seriously, I did. I laughed at the irony because as a kid, all the way into my teenage years, I was always sooo afraid of any kind of surgery and any little pain in my side immediately sent a thrill of terror into my heart thinking I had appendicitis.
Oddly enough, it was getting my wisdom teeth out that helped me to get over that fear.
So when I had to get my appendix out, it was funny instead of terrifying. And really no biggie.
What does this have to do with your nose? Not much. But I hope it makes you giggle.
Best of luck!!

Myk said...

My mom had Nasal Pollyps and had them so long they permanently damaged her sense of smell and taste. She got them removed, but still can't smell or taste. She could definitely sympathize with you and your sinus issues. She is still a continual allergy/asthma mess! Hopefully yours will be fixed!

brigette said...

You poor thing im so sorry I hope the surgery will work quickly for you!!! Fingers crossed that all goes well!! Hugs

Alesha said...

I am laughing out loud about the comment of "things inside your head" Sometimes I wish someone could look at the literal things going on inside my head! haha Hope things get worked out for you!