Friday, May 18, 2012

Butterfly Love



One of the highlights of going home for my beautiful little sister's wedding was being able to go and visit Teagan's grave.  It was actually on Teagan's nine month birthday/angel day that we flew in.  My wonderful mother-in-law stayed with the kids so I could go over to the cemetery by myself.  

These lilacs were a little gift to me from Heavenly Father (at least that is the way I see it).  Let me tell you why.  I love lilacs, they have childhood memories written all over them for me.  Add in the fact that they are purple (Teagan's color) and I knew I wanted to put some on her grave.  My in-law's neighbors were trimming their lilac bushes and cutting away a lot of the bush.  So, Robbie and I went over and got a bunch of flowers from the parts they cut down.  The flowers were pretty, but they were kind of dried up and not quite healthy.  They were better than nothing though.  

Well, as I was driving to the cemetery I saw a ton of beautiful lilacs growing on a LDS church's property.  At first I told myself, 'No, Jennie- just keep driving'.  I didn't get very far before I flipped a U-ey to get some of those beautiful flowers.  I think Heavenly Father had them growing in abundance in that spot for me.  You couldn't even tell I took any.  Right there on my way to see Teagan.  So with the situation and the fact that it came from church property... call me crazy or call it a tender mercy; I'm calling it a gift from Heavenly Father to me, on a hard day.

I made it to the cemetery with my beautiful lilacs for Teagan.  I talked to Teagan.  I cried.  I prayed.  I cried.  I talked.  I cried some more, splotchy face and all.  Crying is not something to be scared of.  They're a part of grief, they're a part of life.  When you can't find they words to express all you are feeling inside, tears are what replace those unfound words.  I found this quote by Washington Irving once, it says it better than I can:

There is a sacredness in tears.  They are not the mark of weakness, but of power.  They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.  They are messengers of overwhelming grief... and unspeakable love.

Then, the sweetest thing happened.  A small butterfly came and landed on Teagan's flowers.  She stayed for awhile too.  Just a tiny one.  Kind of fitting, Teagan was just a tiny one too.  Just because they are tiny, doesn't mean they aren't just as wonderful.  Tiny things can carry a tremendous amount of faith and love.  Some may just say it was a coincidence.  I think it was Teagan saying, "It's okay Mom, I'm alright".  It made me smile... it made me cry.

(you may have to look hard, but the little butterfly is there.  Its not a very good pic, it was taken with my phone)

6 comments:

M and N Tenny said...

I love this post and the sweet story about the lilacs and the butterfly. Teagan's story continues and it sure is a beautiful one. Love you friend!

Alesha said...

I love that quote. I am really strong then! :) I am crying right now! haha I am so glad you were able to visit. There is something strange about visiting the cemetery. Its like you know they might not be there but for me it is just P's place. A place I can go and just think about him. Love you!

Unknown said...

Oh how very sweet. Isn't lovely to feel the love of God in the Little things in life that are big to us. I am so glad your visit was blessed.

Amy said...

I'll never forget the day I ran my first 5k race. I was by myself, lonely, and missing my girl. Then, right in my path, I saw a ladybug. (You know that was her nickname). It was incredible. Like she was there with me and I wasn't running alone.

I hope that visiting Teagan's special place, letting the tears flow, and finding the beautiful flowers gave you more healing and peace.

Ashley said...

What a neat story. I love the flowers and I think its great that you found some on your way to visit your baby girl. I love that quote, I wish people understood that tears aren't weakness because I think most think they are.

Thinking of you ((hugs))

brigette said...

The flowers are beautiful!! Im so glad you were able to visit her spot. Isnt amazing the little things that happen that mean so much!! I agree with you and these ladiea tears are good, needed at times and shouldnt be seen as a weaknezz. Big hugs mama!!!