This is my curbside find. Philly has this great tradition of of putting your junk on the curb before garbage day. The garbage man will take
anything, so if no one picks it up, then it at least gets hauled away the next day. Many wonderful finds are on the curbs of Philly! So, I saw this gem and immediately fell in love with it, it has fantastic lines. Better yet, it was on my own street. I grabbed my neighbor Amee and made her help me haul it back to my house. I forgot to take a 'before' pic before I took it apart.
 |
| The 'work zone' |
This was quite the project! My wonderful neighbor, Krista, helped me do it-- so so grateful for her help! First we primed it. Gave it a couple coats of Behr 'Mongolia Blossom' white. Sanded the last coat of paint with a 320 grade sandpaper to give it a nice smooth finish. It was looking so great. After advice from the web and Home Depot, we gave it a top coat of polyurethane. BIG mistake! It turned it yellow! It was horrible. NEVER top a white paint with polyurethane! I wanted to cry.
 |
| yellowed polyurethane |
So, we got to start over! We knew what we were doing the second time through so we were able to do it in one day. We gave it a light sanding so the primer had something to stick to again. Primed it, painted it, sanded it again. And debated and debated about what to do about a top coat. We tested Poly-acrylic out, made sure it was safe before we put it on the whole thing. I love the Poly-acrylic! So much better.
And the finished project. I love the look and love the extra storage in my dining room. I'm in love!
16 comments:
I just did the same thing to an old 70's credenza for a new TV stand. Looks really great! Good job!
Jennie! This is so awesome! I'm always so impressed with your skills!
Super cute Jen!
Gorgeous!!! Great job. I love it.
You, Dana, and Becky are cut from the same mold. I wish I had that vision! It looks great!
I'm still looking for mine!!!
It looks amazing! Our trash men in Houston would take anything as well. In fact, if you forgot to take your can out to the curb, they'd walk up to the side of the house and get it. It was wonderful.
What a great piece! I love that about PA! We always saw all sorts of things on the curb!
What a neat find...you did AMAZING!! Great job :)
How awesome!! You did a good job fixing it up!! Way to go!
I love it! Looks so good. I wish I would be able to go scour the neighborhood looking for treasures, but it doesn't happen in vegas.
looks great!! I've been trying to refinish furniture and had some ups and downs...if you have time you'll have to tell me brands you like, this was spray paint right? It looks great!
I love it!
WOW... can you suck at anything???
Way to go Jennie! That looks awesome!
love, love, love this. You can give it to me when you are done with it!
Post a Comment